Friday, January 23, 2009

Lunar New Year - LIKES and FEARS

I, myself, am surprised that it is another new year in the lunar calendar! I STILL have my grudge over last year's short CNY holidays (I was studying in S'pore) and now, this celebration repeats itself already! I know I put Lunar New Year in the title instead of CNY because it sounds cooler but CNY is so much more convenient to type, so I'll stick to CNY. Bear with me please.


No doubt that this is the happiest time of the year for me. Still, there are the likes and fears during the celebration. So now, I'll stop beating around the bush and get straight to the point. Here's my top 3 LIKES and FEARS.


LIKES


1) Ang Pow

CNY is not CNY without these little red packets. And don't underestimate the word 'little', they give me the extra cash that I need every year, though most of it end up in the bank. Yes, I am a thrifty person if that's what you are thinking right now. Anyway, the ang pows are not only for enveloping money, they make great decorations and collection as well. They can be turned into an elaborate lantern using excessive glue and stapler bullets or folded into surprisingly attractive cranes. Plus, the designs on some of them are so terrific that I think should be sold as collectibles rather than free gifts.



2) Mah-Jong

This is another ICON of CNY. CNY will be quiet without the rustling sound of mah-jong tiles being shuffled. I am not gambling, just playing it for pure fun. I have absolutely no luck in this game and lose in almost every round. Still, I love this game because of the suspense in the atmosphere that is built up gradually with each tile discarded. The only sad thing is that I still don't know how to count the points when one wins.



3) Food

I am addicted to all the new year cookies that only appear once annually, so don't trust your new year cookies with me. They will be gone as soon as you turn your back. Not only those murderously delicious snacks, don't forget the steamboat, tangerines, gallons of soft drink and occasional alcohol. Eating is the daily routine during this period of time. I eat when I watch TV; I eat when I surf the internet (I placate myself by thinking that 'surfing' will burn off some calories); I eat when I am in the car; I eat when food is within my reach. The list goes on.



FEARS



1)Abnormally High Glucose and Fat Level

Sugar is a deathly desire. When my sugar-cravings start, I seem to not able to stop myself. So, every CNY is the time when my blood glucose level shoot up faster than a bazooka. And along with that sugar's best friend, fat, will gleefully join him too. Both accomplishing their missions to disrupt my metabolism and clog up my blood vessels without any failure. Well well, I need the rest of the year to clear and clean up my system.



2) Homework

Nobody likes that right? Homework during the holidays. And I think everyone knows the reason. I'll just skip that. This year, I will force myself to finish as much homework as I can before the celebration starts. Hopefully all. (This is a VERY ambitious aim, with all the distractions around...)



3) Steamboat

I eat steamboat for at least 9 meals consecutively every year. The first is great, the second is good and the third is okay. The paradox here is that the stock becomes more and more delicious from meal to meal. My utility for every meal consumed will, ironically, diminish and by the eighth and ninth. I feel nauseous when I look at it and the thought of it makes me want to throw up. However, this is an annual delicacy that I shall regret if I missed it. I hope that I will continue to love it when I am reaching the last few meals this year.



To some, Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year. In my opinion (and undeniably my culture), CNY is the most wonderful time of the year!!! This is almost what I literally live for. In short, I want to wish everyone a very HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS CHINESE NEW YEAR! Cheers!!!

1 comment:

  1. LOL, "surfing" will not burn your calories, stop deceiving yourself...

    and i thought you're good at mah-jong.. smart people play mahjong. i should play more then..haha

    ReplyDelete